Saturday, February 10, 2007

Step Stripe Socks


If you're a sock knitter and you haven't tried Austermann Step Sock Yarn yet, you're missing out! It is not only wonderful to knit with, it's GREAT to wear. One ball of yarn makes a pair. I knit these with 2 x 2 rib, size 0 dpns, with 72 stitches, resulting in a firm and tight fabric that will wear well.
To make an identical pair out of one ball, I wound the ball into a "cake" with my ball winder. Then I put the "cake" onto a scale, noted the weight and figured what half would be, pulled out the piece of yarn coming from the center of the "cake" and started winding again. When the "cake" remaining on the scale was half of the original weight, I stopped winding and cut the yarn. Then I pulled out the center yarn from each "cake" and laid them out until I had found the matching pattern repeat. I only had to waste a little of the yarn and I had plenty to make the socks (I wear a women's size 9 shoe). I even have a little left over. Some people don't care if their socks match, but I can't seem to get away from the "matching" and "symetrical" syndrome, so therefore, all my socks match.
Did I say that these wash well, also? They do! I wash all my socks by hand in the sink with a little bit of shampoo. Rinse in clear water, gently squeeze in a towel and lay out to dry. It only takes a minute and the socks come out great!


9 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue - I'd ;ove to know how many inches your Step sock was before the heel, and how many rows you used for the heel flap. Thanks so much for your answer. Carol

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Sue said...

To Anonymous: Carol, my Step sock is 6 inches before the heel and there are 42 rows on the heel flap - it's 2 1/2 inches long. I knit these on size 0 dpns and used 72 stitches. Hope this helps. Sue

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love the 'cake' concept! I also really like Austermann as well. Nice work!

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger lbquilts said...

hi carol!
i am a 'young' g'ma also...just retired last june 1 and love every minute of everyday! and enjoyed reading your blog...

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger roseygirl said...

One day I will knit a pair of socks and be shouting from the roof tops :) LOL!

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your socks look great. i've had a ball of Step yarn in my stash for 2yrs, and you've made me want to pull it out NOW.

also thanks for your suggestion about weighing the yarn so the socks will match.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger roseygirl said...

Just stopping by to say hello I have been so slack lately with my own blog and also stopping by the blogs linked from mine, so I am trying to fix that :)

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home