Sunday, September 11, 2005

Teal & Black Bag

Post Felting
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The felting process went pretty quickly, but boy was the Lamb's Pride ever FUZZY! Fortunately I had it inside a zippered pillow cover because when I checked it the first time, there were several large clumps of fuzz inside the bag. It took about 25 minutes to felt and quite a while to dry, and it ended up nice and thick and sturdy. Since I don't like FUZZY on my finished bags, I shaved, shaved, and shaved some more (inside and out). Finished size is 9" at bottom by 9" tall, excluding the handle. Perfect size! So many different looks could come from this basic pattern - let's see, what's next???

Pre-Felting
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


This bag knit up really fast - two short evenings. If I'd have had enough time in one evening to do it, I think that would have worked. The pattern was from the book "Knit One, Felt Too" by Kathleen Taylor and in the book it's called "Scallops and Beads". I used the basic knit pattern but changed the color and omitted the beads. Trying to use some things in my stash, I selected Lamb's Pride Worsted for the teal portion (double stranded with one strand of the color spruce and one strand of the color pine shadows) and I'm happy with the mottled look. I used Plymouth Galway in black for the top portion. Knit on size 15 circular needles for bag and size 13 double pointed for the I-cord strap. The strap is attached inside the bag and the top portion very conveniently rolls down toward the outside.

2 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Loved the bag. I have that book and I like the color combination you use. I love felting also. Have one in progress, but working on some other projects now.
Cathy
http://cathyknits.blogspot.com

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger craftymodster said...

I also have (& love!) this book, but haven't tried this pattern. Your bag turned out wonderful! Teal is one of my favorite colors, and this combo is quite smashing.

I also just wanted to comment (along with my quite "hello!") how much I adore all your other bags on your blog (wow, you've been so busy making all those bags!). I'm glad I happened upon your blog. :~)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home